Motorcycles remain as popular a mode of transportation as ever. People from all backgrounds and walks of life can bond over their love of motorcycles and the lifestyle that motorcycles represent.
Freedom and a sense of adventure are often the things people find most attractive about motorcycles, but this freedom and adventure comes with a price: Motorcyclists are at an increased risk of suffering serious, debilitating – even fatal – injuries in the event of a crash.
Unlike drivers and passengers of cars, there is no chassis that can protect a motorcyclist in the event of a collision. Whereas occupants of motor vehicles have seat belts that help restrain them and keep them from being ejected from the car, even a low-speed collision on a motorcycle can cause the cyclist to be thrown from the motorcycle.
Finally, while the occupants of cars can reduce their risk of serious injury in the event of a crash by taking certain precautions (such as by wearing their seat belts), the precautions motorcyclists take can often mean the difference between life and death.
Compensation After a Clinton Motorcycle Accident
A motorcycle accident lawsuit cannot prevent motorcycle accidents or undo the physical harm that a motorcyclist suffered in such a crash. However, a motorcycle accident lawsuit can provide the injured motorcyclist with financial compensation and assistance in addressing the many costs and burdens he or she is likely facing. If another individual caused the motorcycle crash, the motorcyclist may be able to recover the following damages from the at-fault driver:
- Medical costs and expenses, including ongoing or future medical expenses that are reasonably foreseeable;
- Lost wages due to time missed from work;
- The loss of opportunity to advance in one’s career or obtain bonuses from his or her employer (if applicable);
- Mental pain, suffering, and anguish, including stress and pain that comes from suffering disfiguring injuries or amputation injuries;
- Loss of enjoyment of life (in other words, the mental stress that accompanies a realization that one cannot participate in many of the activities in which one used to participate);
- Damage to one’s personal property.
In short, any loss or expense that can be shown to have been caused as the result of the negligent motorist’s actions may be able to be compensated through a motorcycle accident lawsuit.
Think Safety First When Motorcycling in Clinton, South Carolina
Before you start up your motorcycle to cruise through Clinton and the surrounding area, think safety. Not only can your own actions play a significant role in determining the extent of your injuries, your failure to take reasonable precautions can negatively impact your ability to recover compensation. Specifically, failing to take reasonable steps to protect yourself from injury in a motorcycle crash can reduce the amount of compensation you would otherwise receive. In certain cases, you may not be entitled to recover any compensation at all. For these reasons, be sure to take appropriate and reasonable safety measures when riding:
- Always wear a properly-fitted and certified helmet. Motorcyclists are at an increased risk of suffering serious brain injuries in a crash. Wearing a helmet significantly reduces the chances of this happening;
- Wear protective clothing, including long sleeves and pants, to reduce the chance of “road rash” – serious abrasions that can result from sliding across the pavement during a crash;
- Make sure your motorcycle is in good working order before riding. Make certain that the tires, brakes, lights, and other essential components of the motorcycle appear to be in good repair;
- Obey traffic laws and drive defensively. It is especially important that you not ride in another vehicle’s blind spot and that you make every reasonable effort to make yourself visible to other drivers. Driving aggressively, weaving in and out of traffic, or attempting to pass in between lanes of travel is an invitation for a wreck.
These tips will not prevent all motorcycle accidents from occurring. However, they will help you realize two important goals: (1) First, your risk of suffering serious injuries in a motorcycle accident will be reduced; and (2) your opportunity to recover the maximum amount of compensation as possible from the at-fault, negligent party will be preserved.
Why You Need a Motorcycle Accident Law Firm’s Assistance
Some individuals have difficulty in reaching out for help after a motorcycle crash. They may wish to appear strong or as if they are self-sufficient. This is one area where you need the experience and knowledge of a skilled Clinton motorcycle crash law firm:
- Your attorney will know the law and what facts you need to establish in order to “make your case.” There are specific factual propositions that must be proven in order for you to succeed in your case. Failing to prove even one proposition is grounds to deny your claim for compensation.
- Your lawyer will know how to gather evidence necessary to support your claim. Some of this evidence can easily be lost or destroyed if appropriate actions are not taken soon after a motorcycle crash. Your legal counsel can help prevent this from happening.
- Your legal counsel can protect your rights and your claim from actions that might harm your case, including helping you know what to say when you speak with insurance adjusters or attorneys representing the other individuals involved in the crash. Most individuals do not realize that their own statements can be used against them to reduce the amount of compensation they would receive – or deny a claim altogether. This is true of statements made to the motorcyclist’s own insurance company. Your lawyer will help you prepare and answer questions put to you so as to best protect your legal rights.
How Joye Law Firm Helps Clinton Motorcyclists
If you or a loved one have been injured in a Clinton motorcycle crash, the Joye Law Firm is here to help. We are compassionate but knowledgeable and aggressive advocates who fight on behalf of our injury clients. We can help you obtain the compensation you need to pay for your expenses and losses. Call our Clinton office today at (888) 324-3100, or contact us through our website.