Se Habla Español

Personal Injury & Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Summerville, SC

Our Summerville injury attorneys can guide you through the confusion, stress, and uncertainty that follow a serious injury.

For more than 50 years, our attorneys at Joye Law Firm have helped injured people in South Carolina recover the compensation to regain financial stability and move on with their lives after injuries involving a:

Our attorneys also have assisted thousands of clients who were having difficulty obtaining workers’ compensation and Social Security disability benefits. Our law firm has offices in N. Charleston, Columbia, Clinton, Myrtle Beach, and Summerville and represents clients throughout South Carolina.

Firm Partner | South Carolina Injury Lawyer
Visit Our Summerville Office

Joye Law Firm

1731 N Main St Suite A-1
Summerville, SC 29483
(843) 285-6586
Icon Google 360 Tour
Awards & Recognition
CBS News
ESPN Radio logo

Our partner attorneys at Joye Law Firm have both been recognized as Super Lawyers in South Carolina and received an AV rating from the distinguished Martindale-Hubbell legal directory.

Our record of results includes numerous multi-million verdicts and settlements in personal injury and wrongful death cases. While each case stands on its own, our results reflect our experience handling significant cases and the effort we make to have a positive impact with clients we represent.

Take a look at the comments that former clients shared about their experience working with Joye Law Firm, then give us a call to find out how we can assist you.

Types of Cases Our Summerville Lawyers Handle

If our Summerville personal injury lawyers represent you, we will investigate your accident and identify all the parties that may potentially be legally liable for your injuries and losses such as loss of income. We will then find the insurance policies available to pay compensation.

We will gather the evidence to support your claim and forward demand letters to the insurance companies. Insurers frequently make low settlement offers to limit their liability. If you are trying to handle the claim on your own, you may be unsure whether the insurance company’s offer is reasonable.

You need the guidance of an experienced Summerville attorney. Our resolute attorneys will negotiate aggressively for a full and fair settlement based on our many years of settling personal injury lawsuits.

The first step is to schedule a consultation with a Summerville injury attorney. You will have a clearer understanding of your legal options and the steps available to you.

Joye Summerville

Partners Mark Joye and Ken Harrell with Attorney Jeff Gerardi at the Summerville office grand opening in 2021

How Do I Know if I Have a Summerville Injury Lawsuit?

The quickest way to understand whether you have a valid personal injury claim after an accident is to have a free case review by our experienced Summerville accident lawyers at Joye Law Firm.

To have a legitimate injury claim, your injury must have been caused by the carelessness or disregard for safety of another person or business.

For example, if a driver disregards a traffic signal at the interchange of Interstate 26 and Highway 17 in Summerville and causes a crash that injures others, that careless driver may have acted negligently and be found to be liable for the other motorists’ injuries.

Our experienced Summerville car accident lawyers at Joye Law Firm can review the details of your accident, answer your questions and discuss your legal options.

We understand that for you and your family, this is not just a legal case. This is your lives that have been disrupted by a serious injury and whether you can attain the quality of life you had before the accident. Our goal is to have a positive impact on the life of each person we represent.

Attorney's discussing a case

Testimonial Image
What our clients say about us...
Testimonial Image Testimonial Image
Quote Icon

From the moment I met Mr. Harrell and the wonderful people of the Joye Law Firm, I knew I was going to be okay. I knew that they were going to help me, and make sure I was treated fairly, and respectfully.

Alyson, Actual Client
Quote Icon

From the first day I walked in there, I felt like I was in the right place. They really cared about me, and I won’t forget that.

A. Gordan, Actual Client
Quote Icon

I thank God there are lawyers out there willing to fight for employees in situations like mine.

Forrest, Actual Client
Quote Icon

When Mr. Harrell called me, all I could say was, Hallelujah!

V. Clark, Actual Client

Summerville Court System

Summerville is located primarily in Dorchester County. South Carolina is divided into 16 judicial circuits and Dorchester County is part of South Carolina’s First Judicial Circuit. The Circuit Court is the trial court of general jurisdiction. Circuit court includes a civil division, which is the Court of Common Pleas, and a criminal court, the Court of General Sessions.

The Court of Common Pleas is the Dorchester County court that has jurisdiction over personal injury cases in which the amount in dispute is more than $7,500. The Court of Common Pleas is in Dorchester County Courthouse located at 5200 E. Jim Bilton Boulevard, St. George, SC 29477. The phone number is (843) 563-0160.

Other courts also serve Summerville and Dorchester County. The Dorchester County Family Court has jurisdiction over domestic law issues including legal separation, divorce, alimony and child custody as well as over cases involving juveniles who are charged with violations of state or federal law.

The Family Court is located in the Troy Knight Judicial Complex at 212 Deming Way in Summerville, SC 29483. The phone number of the Family Court is (843) 832-0360.

The Dorchester County Clerk of Court office provides administrative support for the Circuit Court including General Sessions, Common Pleas, and the Family Court. The Clerk of Court office is in the Dorchester County Courthouse at 5200 E. Jim Bilton Boulevard, St. George, SC 29477. The phone number of the Clerk of Court is (843) 563-0160.

The Magistrate Court hears small claims civil cases, in which the amount in dispute is less than $7,500. The Magistrate Court is located in the Troy Knight Judicial Complex at 212 Deming Way, Summerville, SC 29483. The phone number for the Magistrate Court is (843) 832-0370.

The Summerville Municipal Court handles traffic violations, violations of town ordinances and criminal misdemeanors. The Summerville Municipal Court is located at 200 S. Main Street, Summerville, SC 29483. The phone number of the municipal court is (843) 875-2010.

The U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina hears federal cases including some types of product liability cases involving defective and unsafe products.

The federal district court is located in the J. Waties Waring Judicial Center at Meeting Street at Broad Street in Charleston, SC 29401. The phone number of the District Court is (843) 579-1401.

The S.C. Workers’ Compensation Commission is the state agency that administers the workers’ compensation laws in South Carolina. The commission holds hearings to resolve disputes over workers’ compensation benefits between employees and employers. The commission is divided into districts, and Summerville is in District 4.

An employee may request a hearing if the employer does not report the workplace accident, denies that the injury was job related or the employee believes that he or she did not receive full benefits. Informal conferences and hearings before deputy commissioners are held within the district.

A Summerville workers’ compensation lawyer can help you pursue full benefits and represent you in a hearing before a workers’ compensation commissioner or an appeal to the full Workers’ Compensation Commission. More information about the S.C. Workers’ Compensation Commission can be found by calling (803) 737-5700.

If you are filing for Social Security disability, your application will be reviewed at the local Office of Disability Adjudication and Review.

If you appeal a decision on your disability claim, the same office will be where your hearing occurs before an administrative law judge. In Summerville, the office is located at 3875 Faber Place Drive, North Charleston, SC 29405. The phone number is (843) 727-4511.

Summerville Hospitals and Medical Centers

If you have been injured in a car accident in Summerville, you may need immediate medical treatment. Hospitals and other facilities in Summerville and the surrounding area include:

Icon Hospital
295 Midland Parkway
Summerville SC 29485
Phone: (843) 970-5000
Icon Hospital
9330 Medical Plaza Dr.
Charleston, SC 29406
Phone: (843) 256-3880
Icon Hospital
Urgent Care
10160 Dorchester Rd.
Summerville, SC 29485
Phone: (843) 871-7900

Contact Our Summerville Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Today

If you have been seriously injured in a Summerville accident, you can trust our attorneys at Joye Law Firm to work to get you the money and benefits that you are entitled to receive.

Joye Law Firm serves our clients with five offices we have throughout the state. Call Joye Law at (843) 285-6586 or fill out our free online case evaluation form.

Free Case Review
Attorney Image

Frequently Asked Questions

In most cases, the statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits in South Carolina is three years from the date that the injury occurred. If you file a lawsuit after the three-year deadline, the court will likely dismiss your case. You will lose your chance to pursue compensation in civil court. There are some exceptions to the deadlines imposed by the statute of limitations such as for injuries discovered later or if the defendant is a governmental entity. It’s best to speak with an attorney as soon as possible following a serious accident to understand your rights.

Accident victims often experience economic losses due to their injuries, such as medical bills and lost income, which is relatively easy to calculate. The value of non-economic losses, such as physical pain and emotional suffering, is more subjective. To determine how much should be sought for pain and suffering, an attorney will consider the following:

  • The severity of the injury
  • The accident victim’s overall health condition before the injury
  • The age of the victim
  • How the injury interferes with daily activities or the ability to participate in hobbies or physical activities
  • The impact that the injury has on personal and professional relationships

Typically, this information is used to calculate pain and suffering compensation in one of two ways. The first is the multiplier method, in which a number between 1.5 and 5 is assigned to the subjective losses based on their severity. The total value of economic compensation is then multiplied by that number to arrive at a final figure. If you had $10,000 in economic losses and a multiplier of 2, you could receive $20,000 in total compensation.

The other way to calculate pain and suffering compensation is to assign pain and suffering a daily value and then multiply it by the number of days that the pain or suffering is expected to last. If your pain and suffering are valued at $100 per day and they last for 180 days, you could receive $18,000. This is known as the per diem method.

In South Carolina, there is no cap on non-economic damages, except for medical malpractice cases.

In a personal injury case, you can seek financial compensation for economic and non-economic losses incurred due to your injuries. Damages can include money for:

  • The cost of medical treatment and rehabilitation, as well as future anticipated medical expenses
  • Loss of wages or income if you cannot work or if you experience a reduction in your income
  • Loss of future earning capacity if your injuries result in limitations on your ability to work
  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Emotional trauma
  • Loss of quality and enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property loss

In limited circumstances, a judge or jury may award punitive damages, which are intended to punish a liable party for outrageous conduct. For example, punitive damages are often awarded to victims in drunk driving accidents.

South Carolina law requires insurance companies to investigate an injury claim and either pay it or deny it in a reasonable amount of time. This gives insurance companies some flexibility in processing injury claims. An experienced attorney at Joye Law Firm can tell you whether an insurer has failed to uphold its obligation to process your claim in a timely fashion.

Insurance companies are not allowed to engage in:

  • Knowingly misrepresenting information relating to coverage
  • Failing to acknowledge communications promptly
  • Failing to follow reasonable standards for the prompt investigation and settlement of claims where liability has become reasonably clear
  • Requiring claimants to file suit to recover the compensation they’re due
  • Threatening to rescind the policy to discourage or minimize a claim

If you are injured, you may be entitled to compensation for the emotional distress that you endured because of your injuries. This distress may arise from scarring and disfigurement, fear of injury or illness, inability to perform daily tasks, and loss of companionship or consortium. Typically, you can pursue compensation reasonably related to the emotional distress that you have suffered after an injury. However, South Carolina law imposes caps on the compensation you can recover for emotional distress in a medical malpractice case.

Additional Locations
Icon Location
5861 Rivers Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29406
(843) 554-3100
Icon Location
1333 Main St., Suite 260
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 771-3100
Icon Location
509 North Broad Street
Clinton, SC 29325
(864) 358-5100
Icon Location
2050 Corporate Centre Dr, Suite 140
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(843) 215-3100
Icon Location
1731 N Main St Suite A-1
Summerville, SC 29483
(843) 285-6586