When preparing for a vacation, people rarely plan for an accident to occur when their goal is to have a fun and relaxing experience. Unfortunately, car accidents can happen when you are on vacation. Having travel insurance can help cover unexpected expenses such as medical bills and property damage. Getting insurance coverage is one thing, but navigating the entire claims process can also be a nightmare, especially if you are in another county, state, or country. To avoid feeling stuck and helpless, a car accident lawyer can take the burden off your shoulders.
As you consider working with an attorney, we hope that this blog post will offer some insight into how to handle travel insurance claims after a car accident. First, let’s look at insurance coverage limits and requirements.
Understand Coverage Limits and Requirements
When you originally purchased your travel insurance, you probably explored the coverage offered and the requirements involved. If not, you can quickly read through these aspects of your policy if you have a copy or talk to an attorney to help you find the answers to the following questions:
- How much does your policy cover for medical expenses, liability claims, or property damage?
- Are you required to pay some amount before the coverage kicks in?
- How is your travel insurance affected if the rental car company also has a policy?
Being able to answer these questions beforehand will help you avoid disagreements with the insurer that may prolong the claim process. In addition, it’s important to know the basic requirements for qualifying for claim compensation. For instance:
- Does your insurer require you to report the accident within a specific timeframe?
- How much information should you provide about the accident?
- How quickly do you need to seek medical treatment after the accident?
Knowing travel insurance requirements beforehand or shortly after the car accident will help you get the most out of your claim.
Document the Accident and Gather Evidence
Immediately after the accident, ensure everyone involved is safe and that medical help is on the way. Then, start gathering evidence and documenting everything using the following methods:
- Take photographs and capture video of the accident scene.
- Obtain contact and insurance information of the other party or parties involved.
- Take witness statements and obtain their contact details.
- Write down your recollection of any details of the accident as soon as you can.
- Request a copy of the police report.
- Get copies of your medical records after you seek treatment.
If your injuries preclude you from moving around, ask someone to record the accident scene for you or call someone who can help. Joye Law Firm will take over the entire process, allowing you to focus on recovering from your injuries.
Initiate the Claims Process with Your Insurance Provider
After documenting the accident, you can now start the insurance claims process. It is a straightforward process that includes the following steps:
- Contact your insurer.
- Share the evidence you gathered.
- Follow the instructions they provide.
- Keep a record of the communication process.
- Truthfully respond to any further inquiries the insurance provider may have.
- Clarify anything you do not understand about the claim process.
Try to remain patient during the claim process as various factors such as the extent of the accident, the number of parties involved, and the insurance track record can cause the process to take weeks or even months.
Resolve Any Complexities that May Arise
Being involved in a car accident in another state or country can create complex issues that may prolong or hinder the insurance claims process. Such complexities can include car rental issues, language barriers, missed items on travel itineraries, confusion as to where you should seek medical treatment, and varying car accident laws and claims requirements.
When these complexities occur, you may need the services of personal injury lawyers in North Charleston. Insurance providers may use the complex nature of the accident to avoid paying you or convince you to take unfair compensation.
Contact a South Carolina Car Accident Law Firm
If you have been involved in a car accident while visiting South Carolina, getting help from a local law firm that understands how the law works is best. Joye Law Firm has over 50 years of experience serving the residents of South Carolina and interacting with insurance companies.
A South Carolina car accident lawyer from our firm will actively work to ensure you receive the compensation that is rightfully yours. They will also tackle any arising complexities and follow the proper procedures. Schedule a free consultation and let us help you receive your travel insurance claim sooner rather than later.