Image of someone tripping on a rug

A vacation should be a time of relaxation and enjoyment, but sometimes accidents can happen even in the most idyllic settings. If you slip and fall at a vacation house in South Carolina, property owners may be liable if they fail to follow the state’s premises liability laws.

Knowing your rights as a vacation home tenant can help you get the compensation you deserve. A slip and fall injury lawyer at Joye Law Firm will help you explore your legal options after slipping and falling at a vacation home in the Palmetto State and file a claim against a negligent property owner.

Understanding Premises Liability in South Carolina

Premises liability is an area of law that holds property owners responsible for the safety of individuals on their premises. In South Carolina, property owners have a duty of care to ensure their property is reasonably safe for visitors. This duty extends to vacation homes, whether rented or owned by an individual, company, or other entity.

To establish a successful premises liability claim in South Carolina, you must prove the following elements:

  • Ownership of the property: You must establish who owns the vacation house where your slip and fall accident occurred. This may be an individual, company, or other entity.
  • Duty of care: You must demonstrate that the property owner had an obligation to ensure the property was reasonably safe for visitors. This duty exists in South Carolina for invitees (guests) and licensees (people with permission to be on the property but without business purposes).
  • Dangerous condition: It is essential to prove that a hazardous condition on the property caused your slip and fall. Unsafe conditions may include wet floors, uneven surfaces, or poorly lit areas.
  • Breach of duty: You must show that the property owner failed to meet their duty of care. This can occur if the property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition but failed to fix it or provide adequate warning.
  • Causation and damages: Finally, you must prove that the property owner’s breach of duty caused your slip and fall and that you suffered injuries, such as medical expenses, lost wages, or pain and suffering.

What Happens if You’re Injured in South Carolina But Live Out of State

If you’re injured in a slip-and-fall accident in South Carolina but live out of state, you can file a compensation claim. However, the claim and any associated legal proceedings will likely occur in South Carolina.

If you live in another location, you must find a lawyer licensed to practice in South Carolina to represent your interests. An experienced attorney from Joye Law Firm can help you file a claim with the vacation homeowner’s insurance company for damages, ensuring your claim meets all requirements per South Carolina law.

If your case goes to court, your legal team can use their knowledge of the state’s premises liability law and past legal rulings to win maximum damages. Your lawyer will:

  • Conduct a thorough investigation of the accident scene and gather evidence such as photographs, witness statements, and medical records.
  • Analyze South Carolina’s premises liability laws and regulations to determine the property owner’s legal responsibilities and liabilities.
  • Argue that the property owner was negligent in maintaining the property or failed to warn visitors of hazards, leading to your slip and fall accident.
  • Present expert testimony to demonstrate the extent of your injuries, the impact on your life, and the cost of medical treatment and other related expenses.
  • Negotiate with insurance companies or the property owner’s legal team to reach a fair settlement or take the case to trial if necessary.

Discuss Your Legal Options with Joye Law Firm

South Carolina is a top tourist destination, attracting visitors from across the country and the world. Because of that, our firm has helped many people injured while on vacation since opening our doors over 50 years ago. From collapsing staircases and elevator shaft falls to trip-and-falls and animal bites, we’ve seen it all, and know what it takes to successfully resolve a South Carolina premises liability claim. Plus, we strive to provide client service that is a cut above, regardless of where you reside.

If you have suffered a slip and fall accident at a vacation house in South Carolina, seek the guidance of an experienced premises liability attorney.

We understand the challenges of recovering from a slip and fall injury and can provide you with the support and guidance needed to secure  fair compensation. We will thoroughly investigate your case, gather evidence, and work to negotiate a fair settlement.

Contact our legal team today to discuss your claim and explore your legal options in a free consultation.

About the Author

Mark Joye is the Head of the Litigation Department at the Joye Law Firm. A Board-Certified Trial Advocate with nearly 30 years of litigation experience, he currently serves on the Board of Governors for the American Association for Justice and is a past president of the South Carolina Association for Justice. In a recent trial, Joye headed a trial team that secured $17 million for a family killed in a tractor-trailer accident.

Recent Blog Post
Image of someone hammering a nail with bandaged fingers
Can I Get Workers’ Comp If I Accidentally Caused My Own Injury?

Workers’ compensation is a system designed to provide medical care and wage replacement benefits to employees who suffer job-related injuries or illnesses. It is a no-fault insurance program that provides coverage to employees regardless of who was at fault for…

What to Do in South Carolina: Staff Picks 5/30/23 – 6/5/23

As the weekend approaches, residents and visitors of South Carolina are in for a treat with a diverse range of events happening across the state. We are delighted to share a curated list of exciting happenings in various cities, handpicked…

What type of compensation can you receive in a Charleston dog bite lawsuit?
Are Personal Injury Settlements Taxable?

When seeking legal guidance after an injury, you may have questions about whether you will owe either state of federal income tax on the insurance settlement resulting from your personal injury claim. The short answer is no. Personal injury settlements…

Image of someone signing a disability insurance form
Can You Use Social Security Disability and Workers’ Compensation Together?

If you’ve suffered a work-related injury or illness, you may be wondering whether to file for workers’ compensation, disability insurance, or both. Workers’ compensation provides benefits for medical expenses and lost wages, while Social Security Disability (SSD) provides income replacement…

Awards & Recognition
CBS News