From work injuries, to car accidents, nursing home abuse to defective products, and slip and fall injuries to medical malpractice, our Charleston personal injury attorneys understand that there are several reasons an individual may need an attorney on their side. The law is extremely complex, and when an individual does not fully understand it, it can pose some serious dilemmas. When it comes to personal injury law in Charleston, our clients are also faced with the burden of proof, meaning that they are required to prove that a) the defendant owed them a duty of care, b) that the defendant violated that duty of care, c) that damages were sustained, and d) that the defendant’s negligence resulted in the victim’s alleged damages.
Many people find it helpful to work with a Charleston personal injury attorney, as a personal injury lawyer takes care of all of the legal work while the victim relaxes and takes the time they need to recover. However, some individuals feel that they can navigate the legal system on their own. While this is sometimes the case, there are instances when it is absolutely necessary to have an attorney on your side.
Instances When It is Necessary to Hire a Lawyer
There are several reasons that the legal experts at our Charleston personal injury law firm feel it would be in your best interest to hire an attorney. Those reasons are:
- You are in over your head;
- You face jail time;
- You stand to lose a lot of money;
- Your opponent has hired an attorney;
- You have received serious bodily injuries;
- You are in the middle of or face a complicated divorce;
- You need to administer the estate of a deceased loved one;
- You want to do comprehensive estate planning;
- You want to adopt a child;
- You need a legal contract drawn up; and
- You need a complex business matter settled.
Oftentimes, we tell our clients that if they think they might need a lawyer, they probably do. Most legal matters are much more complex than most people give them credit for, and even one wrong move – such as the failure to file on time, or the failure to submit a single piece of evidence – could mean having to start the entire process over, or losing the case entirely. Furthermore, while most individuals choose not to hire a lawyer because of monetary reasons, not hiring a lawyer could actually end up being more costly than had they allowed a legal professional to help them with their case in the first place.
When to Hire a Charleston Personal Injury Attorney
In regards to personal injury claims, it is almost always best to have a Charleston personal injury attorney on your team. Because you will be dealing with insurance carriers – who are notoriously ruthless – throughout the entire claims process, and because you will be healing throughout the entire legal process, it is best to retain a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident to help you with the paperwork and negotiations. Furthermore, because personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis—meaning that they only get paid if and when you receive your settlement—you do not have to worry about how much a lawyer is going to cost you.
However, if you are still hesitant to work with a Charleston personal injury lawyer, here are some instances in which we tell our clients it is necessary to hire a lawyer:
- Hire a lawyer when discussions with insurance carriers begin. Chances are that after an accident, you are going to want to receive compensation for damages accrued—damages being property damage, medical bills, lost wages, etc. Your Charleston personal injury law firm will ensure that all of your medical bills are paid on time, and that any property damage claims are paid so that you can get back to living life as normal. The best time to take care of any insurance claims is directly after the accident occurs and/or as soon as you are released from the hospital.
- Hire a lawyer when dealing with a medical malpractice lawsuit. Because medical malpractice claims can be difficult to prove, it would be in your best interest to hire a medical malpractice attorney ASAP. Charleston medical malpractice claims have a very short statute of limitations (three years from discovery of injury and/or the date of the accident), so a malpractice attorney can help you file your claim and fulfill the necessary paperwork obligations in a timely fashion. Once the claim is filed, they can help you gather the necessary evidence to prove your claim, and help you build a solid case that is sure to win the jury over.
- Hire a lawyer when the insurance companies introduce their experts. Unfortunately, the insurance companies have the odds stacked in their favor, as they have a large bankroll and unlimited legal resources. While you may not have the large bankroll, when you hire a Charleston personal injury attorney, you do have a wealth of legal resources, which is just as important – if not more so – than the money. A personal injury attorney can ensure that the insurance companies do not try to nickel and dime you out of your just settlement, and that they do not trick you into saying something that could get your claim dismissed altogether.
- Hire a lawyer when medical care is necessary. When you are injured in an accident, it is important not only that you seek medical care for your injuries, but that you seek the right medical care. Your Charleston personal injury lawyer can direct you on where to find the medical professionals who will not only treat you, but also, who will serve as expert witnesses in your case.
Consult a Charleston Personal Injury Attorney
If you are unsure about whether or not you need to hire a personal injury attorney to help resolve your personal injury dispute, you may find it beneficial to meet briefly with one of our Charleston legal associates to see if working with a lawyer is right for you. At the Joye Law Firm, we offer free consultations for individuals who feel that they may be in need of legal representation, but who are not sure what to expect from working with a lawyer. To schedule a free consultation with one of our Charleston personal injury lawyers, contact us at 877-936-9707 or online today.