Serious injuries or even death can occur any time an automobile driver makes an error in judgment. South Carolina recognizes this fact, and under South Carolina Code 56-5-1210, drivers have certain responsibilities if a collision results in death or personal injury.

All drivers must immediately stop their vehicles after an accident. Sometimes it isn’t feasible to halt the car right at the scene. So South Carolina allows drivers to park as close to the accident as possible without hindering traffic.

Once the driver who caused the accident has come to a stop, leaving the scene is prohibited until all requirements of the code have been met. However, there is one exception to this rule. If it is necessary to exit the area in order to inform authorities of the car crash, the driver is allowed to take this action.

Law enforcement officials who arrive at the accident are authorized to move the vehicles and any debris to make sure the area is safe for traffic. But it should be noted that if an accident has caused severe injuries or death, nothing may be removed from the scene until the investigating officer has approved the removal.

If the driver who instigated a collision ignores this code, different kinds of penalties apply, depending on the nature of the accident.

A driver who is found guilty of a misdemeanor may face:

  • Imprisonment of no less than 30 days and no more than 1 year;
  • Fines of no less than $100.00 and no more than $5,000.00;
  • Or both prison time and fines, if resulting injuries are not considered severe.

A driver who is found guilty of a felony due to causing great bodily injury may face:

  • Imprisonment of no less than 30 days and no more than 10 years; and
  • Fines of no less than $5,000.00 and no more than $10,000.00.

A driver who is found guilty of a felony due to causing any fatalities may face:

  • Imprisonment of no less than 1 year and no more than 25 years; and
  • Fines of no less than $10,000.00 and no more than $25,000.00.

Car accidents can cause devastating injuries and mounting medical bills. But our attorneys at the Joye Law Firm are here to help. Please contact us for a free consultation at 877-941-2615 to discuss the details of your car accident or fill out our convenient online form today.

Recent Blog Post
What to Do if Someone is Tailgating You

Tailgating or following too closely behind another car is dangerous behavior, and often a form of road rage. It can easily lead to rear-end collisions and injury accidents. In South Carolina, 3,494 people were injured in 2019 by drivers following…

south carolina statute of limitations personal injury
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Personal Injury Claim in South Carolina?

South Carolina law gives a person who has been injured by another party’s action or inaction three years in most situations to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for their injuries, financial losses, and pain and suffering. If the claim is…

How to Stay Out of Other Drivers’ Blind Spots on Your Motorcycle

Bikers need to be aware of all potential hazards on the road. That’s because the consequences of a minor collision on a motorcycle can be much more severe than in a car. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,…

Who is Liable for Boating Accidents in Bad Weather?

Boating is a popular recreational activity in South Carolina, with thousands of people taking to the state’s lakes, rivers and shores every year. However, weather conditions can often shift abruptly, and failing to stay informed and take the necessary precautions…

Awards & Recognition
Best Law Firm 2022
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
B Member
Best Lawyers 2021 Small
ASJ Leaders Forum
National Trial Lawyers Top 100
Google Review
Avvo Rating
CBS News