Drunk drivers pose a danger to everyone on the roads. Intoxicated drivers have a reduced ability to recognize accident situations and slowed reflexes to avoid a crash. When a drunk driver injures another person in a crash, the intoxicated driver may be held financially responsible for the harm they cause. If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident that wasn’t your fault, turn to a Summerville personal injury attorney at Joye Law Firm for help-seeking just compensation.
For more than 50 years, the attorneys of Joye Law Firm have advocated for the interests of injury victims in Summerville and throughout South Carolina. We’ve handled countless drunk driving cases, and have successfully held drunk drivers to account for the injuries they caused. When you choose to have us handle your injury claim after a car accident with a drunk driver, you’ll have a team of experienced attorneys who know how to help you. Every personal injury case stands on its own. But our experience handling these types of cases is reflected in the results we have secured on behalf of many people and the positive reviews from satisfied clients.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you need to understand your legal options. Don’t wait to reach out to Joye Law Firm for a free consultation with a Summerville drunk driving accident attorney. The best time to get started on a drunk driving injury case is immediately. We are standing by to review the facts of the accident and discuss how we can help.
Drunk Driving Facts and Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 28 people are killed every single day in drunk driving accidents across the U.S.
The South Carolina Department of Public Safety reports that approximately 22,000 DUI arrests are made in South Carolina each year.
South Carolina ranks 10th among states for alcohol-related traffic fatalities, despite only ranking 23rd in population. The state saw a 14 percent increase in fatalities in a recent year.
Drunk drivers should be held accountable for the harm they cause. In addition to prosecution by police on DUI charges, a drunk driver may be held financially accountable through a civil lawsuit.
If your life has been disrupted by a serious accident caused by a drunk driver, seek the guidance of our experienced attorneys about the appropriate steps to take to pursue accountability so you can move forward with your life.
Recent Summerville Drunk Driving Accidents
There have been several recent drunk driving accidents near Summerville, including the following:
- A Summerville police officer was injured in a multi-vehicle accident on College Park Road near Market Road. The officer was on his way home after work when he was struck by a woman who was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.
- A collision between a suspected drunk driver and a tanker truck on I-526 resulted in gas leaking onto the highway. The woman who caused the accident told police that she was trying to reach her friend’s home in Summerville but ended up on the wrong side of the interstate. Investigators say she had been at a bar before the collision and was seen consuming several alcoholic beverages.
What Kind of Damages Can You Pursue in a Drunk Driving Accident Case?
If you were injured by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to pursue a financial recovery for the medical expenses and losses that you have incurred. As part of a personal injury claim, you may seek compensation for losses, including:
- Medical expenses, including hospital and surgical bills, prescriptions, doctor’s appointments, and medical equipment such as wheelchairs
- Expenses for long-term disabilities, including home health services and home renovations to make accommodations
- Lost income from missing work after an accident
- Loss of future earnings and employment benefits if your injuries limit your ability to return to work or the type of work you can handle
- Physical pain and emotional trauma or distress
- Lower quality of life because of disabilities or disfigurement
- Repair or replacement costs for your vehicle or other personal property
- Punitive damages, which are ordered to punish a defendant for his or her conduct
Average Settlement for a Drunk Driving Accident
There is no average settlement for a drunk driving accident claim because every case has unique factors. The size of a settlement will depend on the following:
- The severity of the injuries suffered
- The length of your recovery
- Whether the injuries resulted in permanent disabilities
- The strength of the evidence proving the other driver’s intoxication or other negligent behavior
- The other driver’s insurance coverage and other financial resources
When we review the specifics of the drunk driving accident in which you were injured, we can offer a better idea of the value of your claim.
How To Report a Drunk Driver
If you are involved in an accident with another driver and you suspect that the driver may be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, it’s important to report that suspicion to the authorities. Contact police from the accident scene. It is best to notify the police without letting the suspected intoxicated driver know. An intoxicated driver may try to convince you to avoid involving law enforcement if they know that they will be arrested for DUI. An intoxicated driver may also become threatening or violent towards you to prevent you from contacting the police.
You can contact law enforcement by dialing 911 or contacting the local police department or highway patrol directly. In South Carolina, you can quickly dial the state police on your cell phone by dialing *HP (*47).
Legal Options for Drunk Driving Victims in Summerville
Victims of drunk driving accidents in Summerville may be able to pursue compensation for resulting expenses and losses. If you are focused on treating serious injuries, you may not have the energy or focus to pursue an insurance claim on your own. One of our Summerville drunk driving accident injury lawyers at Joye Law Firm can help.
We are prepared to:
- Conduct an investigation of the accident to gather evidence that can be used to build your case for compensation
- Document your injuries and calculate the expenses and losses that you should be compensated for, including future anticipated medical expenses and losses
- Explain your legal options for financial recovery, including filing insurance claims against the at-fault driver’s policy or pursuing claims against businesses if the drunk driver was on the job when the accident occurred
- Work with accident reconstruction specialists to understand how the crash happened
- Prepare your insurance claims or demand letters to pursue insurance or settlements
- Take your claims to court and trial if needed to pursue your options
What To Do After You’ve Been Hit by a Drunk Driver
If you are ever involved in a collision with an intoxicated motorist, you should remember to take the following steps to help protect your rights to pursue a claim for compensation for your injuries and losses:
- If possible, take photos or videos with your cell phone to document the accident scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks on the road, traffic signals and controls, visual obstructions, weather, lighting, and road conditions.
- See a doctor as soon as you can to get examined for any injuries you may have suffered from the accident. Photograph any visible injuries.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment recommendations and instructions.
- Get copies of your medical records and keep any bills, invoices, or receipts for expenses you incur due to the accident.
- Collect your pay stubs if you miss time from work or lose income due to accident-related injuries.
- Keep a journal to document the pain and daily difficulties you experience due to your injuries and medical treatments.
- Avoid discussing the accident or your legal case on social media or posting photos or videos of yourself while you are still recovering from your injuries.
- Make time to speak with a Summerville drunk driving accident lawyer at Joye Law Firm to learn about your legal options and the next steps to pursue compensation.
Our Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Are Ready to Assist You
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident in Summerville, you could be owed compensation for a wide range of losses. An experienced drunk driving accident attorney at Joye Law Firm can help you understand the options available to you.
Contact our offices today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a compassionate member of our seasoned legal team. We will explain your legal options for seeking financial compensation and determine whether we can help. Give us a call or contact us online today.