Dangerous Drugs On The Market
There are a shocking number of prescription drugs that are the center of lawsuits due to dangerous side effects or medical conditions that developed as a result of taking the drug.
The following are only some of the many pharmaceuticals that have caused serious injuries to patients:
- Testosterone Therapy
- Yaz / Yasmin
You should also note that many medical devices have also caused injuries and are the subject of lawsuits. Such devices can include certain hip and knee replacements, proton pump inhibitors, and more.
Dangerous Effects of Pharmaceuticals
As mentioned above, you should expect a prescribed pharmaceutical to make you feel better, not to cause conditions and injuries that are even more serious than your initial condition.
The following are only some examples of the serious medical conditions that developed in patients who were taking dangerous drugs:
- Heart attack, heart failure, blood clots, strokes, and other cardiovascular injuries;
- Cancer, including bladder cancer, breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, or ovarian cancer;
- Kidney disease, ketoacidosis, or kidney failure;
- Type 2 diabetes;
- Increased depression and suicidal thoughts;
- Birth defects in children being carried by mothers taking certain drugs.
As you can see, the effects of certain drugs are far more dangerous than the standard side effects of headache or nausea that may come with most pharmaceuticals. The above conditions all require extensive medical treatment to control the condition. Some treatments for cancer and similar illnesses include chemotherapy and other treatments that can cause constant illness, pain, and serious side effects of its own. In addition, many of the above conditions cannot be reversed, even with costly and aggressive treatments. Unfortunately, many victims of drug injuries do not survive and end up succumbing to the dangerous effects of their prescription drugs.
Overall, common losses due to drug injuries can include:
- Expenses for medical treatment of the drug injury;
- Wages lost from missing work due to the drug injury;
- Permanent impairments due to the injury;
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress caused by the injuries;
- Wrongful death if the drug user did not survive their injury.
In some cases, drug injury losses can extend into the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. Because there is so much at stake, you want to make sure that your attorney has specific experience in successfully handling this type of case.