South Carolina law requires insurance companies to investigate an injury claim and either pay it or deny it in a reasonable amount of time. This gives insurance companies some flexibility in processing injury claims. An experienced attorney at Joye Law Firm can tell you whether an insurer has failed to uphold its obligation to process your claim in a timely fashion.
Insurance companies are not allowed to engage in:
- Knowingly misrepresenting information relating to coverage
- Failing to acknowledge communications promptly
- Failing to follow reasonable standards for the prompt investigation and settlement of claims where liability has become reasonably clear
- Requiring claimants to file suit to recover the compensation they’re due
- Threatening to rescind the policy to discourage or minimize a claim