Whether you are driving slowly in downtown Charleston traffic, passing through a busy intersection on Ashley Phosphate Road in North Charleston or leaving town on I-26, you or a loved one may encounter a careless driver and sustain serious injuries in a car accident. Most people who are seriously injured are not prepared for the disruption and financial stress that a serious accident can cause. You may be unable to work for months. You may feel anger and frustration. You may feel overwhelmed and uncertain how to move forward. You need a strong shoulder that you can lean on for trusted legal guidance during a difficult time. A compassionate Charleston auto accident attorney at Joye Law Firm is ready to answer your questions during a free consultation and offer our assistance.
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident caused by another motorist, you need the experience of our Charleston car accident lawyers. Our attorneys at Joye Law Firm bring more than 150 years of collective legal experience to each car accident case we handle. We are committed to assisting people who have been seriously injured in car crashes caused by negligent drivers across the Lowcountry, including in Charleston and North Charleston. While every auto accident has unique factors and we cannot guarantee a specific outcome for any case, we have proven results. We understand that hiring a lawyer is an important decision for you. Joye Law Firm was voted 2016 Best Law Firm by the readers of Charleston Post & Courier. Our strong track record of verdicts and settlements shows that we have been successful time after time in resolving significant injury cases. Call our car accident attorneys at (888) 324-3100, or fill out our online claim contact form for a free initial consultation.
How Can a Charleston Car Accident Lawyer Can Assist You
When you turn to Joye Law Firm for help after a car crash, our experienced Charleston car accident attorneys will get to work promptly investigating your accident. You can count on our legal team to:
- Conduct a Detailed Accident Investigation. South Carolina law does not allow the use of a police report to prove negligence in a car accident case. You will need to have attorneys conduct an independent investigation of the cause of the motor vehicle accident. Our attorneys know the types of evidence to look for to build a strong case for compensation. An auto accident lawyer at Joye Law Firm will identify all those who are potentially liable and the insurance policies available to provide compensation.
- Deal with the Insurance Adjuster on Your Behalf. Giving a statement to an insurance adjuster or signing any document the adjuster presents without consulting an attorney first can jeopardize your claim. You may be signing away your right to obtain compensation. Our car accident attorneys can handle communications and negotiations with the insurance adjuster and relieve you of that burden.
- Calculate Your Present and Future Losses and Present Demand Letter. We will gather your medical bills and talk with your doctors about future medical treatment and rehabilitation you will need. We care about our clients and want to make sure you are receiving all the medical treatment you need. We will also determine your present and future loss of income as a result of your injuries. We will prepare and present what is called a “demand letter” to the insurer of the at-fault driver, reflecting the full extent of your losses.
- Negotiate a Settlement or File a Lawsuit. We prepare each case thoroughly as if is going to court even though most car accident cases are settled out of court. If an insurance company refuses to agree to a fair settlement, our attorneys will be prepared to seek justice on our client’s behalf in court.
- Keep You Informed of Our Work on Your Behalf. We will keep you updated regarding our progress on your case. If we receive a settlement offer, we will notify you and share our perspective on whether it is a fair offer. The initial offers are often low and our attorneys will initiate several rounds of negotiations on your behalf. We promised to keep you in the loop. If you call Joye Law Firm with questions, your attorney will respond within 24 hours. Our attorneys and staff treat our clients with courtesy and respect, just as we would wish to be treated.
Car Accidents May Cause Severe and Life-Changing Injuries
Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties are among the fastest growing in South Carolina, according to recent census data. Population growth increases the amount of traffic on Lowcountry roads and increases the likelihood of a serious car accident.
According to The Post and Courier, the most dangerous intersections in the tri-county area include:
- Ashley Phosphate Road and Interstate 26
- College Park Road and Interstate 26
- Junction of I-16 and I-526
- U.S.Hwy 78 and I-26
- U.S. 17A and I-26
- Rivers Avenue and I-526
- Rivers Avenue and Greenridge Road
- Rivers Avenue and Remount Road
- Septima P. Clark Parkway and Coming Street
- U.S. 17 (Savannah Highway) and Main Road
If you or a loved one has sustained serious injuries in an auto accident caused by another driver’s careless or disregard for safety, you should speak with an attorney at Joye Law Firm about your legal options. We want to help you move forward with your life.
Who is Responsible for Paying Damages after a North Charleston Car Accident?
In South Carolina, the driver who is at fault in a car accident may be held responsible for the damages caused by the accident. Drivers in South Carolina are required to report the accident to the South Carolina Department of Transportation and to maintain liability insurance to cover bodily injury and vehicle damage to others.
To obtain compensation after a serious car accident, you will need to show that the other driver was at fault. The car accident lawyers at Joye Law Firm investigate car accidents in greater Charleston and North Charleston areas on behalf of people who have been injured by the negligence of other drivers. If you are hit and injured by an uninsured driver, your own uninsured motorist coverage (UM) pays for injuries and damage to your vehicle.
Time Limit for Filing a Charleston Car Accident Claim
If you sustained serious injuries in a Charleston auto accident, it is important to be aware of the time limits for filing a personal injury lawsuit and how that applies to your claim. In most cases, South Carolina law specifies that individuals who have been injured in car accidents caused by others generally have three years to file a lawsuit. The time limit is known as the statute of limitations.
In most personal injury cases, the statute of limitations is measured from the date of the injury. While there are some exceptions, it is a good idea to speak with an experienced Charleston auto accident lawyer as soon as possible to understand your legal options. If an injury victim fails to file a lawsuit within the time limit, then he or she may lose the right to seek compensation for expenses related to the accident. The sooner you file your claim, the sooner you may be eligible to receive compensation.
If I File a Car Accident Lawsuit, Will the Case Go to Trial in Charleston County Court?
Most of our clients would prefer to move forward with their lives and avoid a trial if possible. We understand. Our Charleston car accident lawyers at Joye Law Firm are successful in resolving most personal injury cases without going to court. An out-of-court settlement allows you to receive the money you need more quickly and avoids the uncertainty of a trial. However, if an at-fault driver’s insurance company refuses to agree to a reasonable settlement, our injury attorneys will be ready to seek justice in court if necessary. We are confident in our courtroom skills based on having won significant jury awards in a number of car accident cases. Our willingness to go to court works to our clients’ advantage. Insurance companies are more willing to offer fair settlements to avoid the expense and risks of a trial.